Bread, Chocolate, and Cheese–I mean, Choir Tour!

I’m back!

ImageI think I’ve gotten over most of the jetlag and my body is getting used to American food again, so I figured now would be a good time to blog about the tour.

I met my group at the airport for what was supposed to be a 5pm flight. It turned into six hours of pricey airport food, impromptu mini-choir recitals, and lots of scrambling to find available plugs so I could charge my dying phone. ImageImageImageStill, I think we all survived it nicely.

After the longest flight of my life we made it to Switzerland! Unfortunately because of the delay we didn’t get to see the Rhien Falls; instead we went straight to Einsiedeln.
ImageImageImageWe went to a beautiful abbey for what was supposed to be a short, 5 minute performance. We sang two songs and I could see my breath as we did (a huge change to the 90 degree weather outside). Two of the monks listening to us were so impressed that they decided to give us a tour of the abbey! Sadly, no pictures. It was beautiful though.

We spent two days in Einsiedeln wandering around the city, playing on the playgrounds and minigolf course, and making the best with no air conditioning or hot water.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageDuring our second day we took a trip to Zurich to perform at a local school.


(photo creds to Cori)

The kids were really impressed and it was so much fun to eat lunch with them afterwards and get to know them. It was the only concert we had with an audience of our age group, and I think those are the concerts I like the best.

After lunch we went to explore the city.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageI love how there are thousands of public drinking fountains in Zurich, it’s so convenient!ImageImageImageImageImageImageThe future Tyra Banks, ladies and gentlemen.ImageDefinitely one of the highlights of the trip. I’ll be going back there someday, no doubt.

The next day we left Einsiedeln and drove to Lauterbrunnen (up in the hills) with a quick stop in Brienz.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageI wanted to sit here for the rest of the tour, but sadly I had to move on.ImageSome seriously good bratwurst. ImageImageImageImageImageImageA nice, friendly face after trekking to and from the waterfall in the rain.
After we spent some time in Lauterbrunnen we took a train up to Wengen.
ImageImageImageImageThis was a beautiful thing to wake up to every morning.

We explored for a little bit, then settled down for a game of chess.ImageImage

The next day we headed up to the Jungfraujoch, the highest point accessible by train in Europe.
ImageImageImagePhoto creds for the next two go to my lovely friend Jessie.ImageImageIt was the coldest day on the tour, and one of the best.
The next day I didn’t feel up for hiking, so I stayed at the hotel with a friend. We spent a few hours talking in the lobby, playing with the hotel dog, and catching up on social media, before going out for lunch.
She found a tiny cafe, and although I was skeptical at first I really couldn’t deny my stomach any longer. ImageImageWe spent half the time eating and the other half giggling over her alcohol-free beer. Then we headed back to the hotel for a quick nap. As I was considering going to the local grocery store and getting some bread and chocolate, one of the choir members came in and told me that a bunch of our friends were playing volleyball near the hotel. With two of our waiter friends from the other night.

I was there in about five minutes.Image

ImageImageImageImageIt made for a nice last day in Wengen.

Our next stop was Interlaken, where we performed at a hotel. Before that, we explored the city and I found my paradise.

ImageImageImageI somehow managed to leave without going completely broke. I think I could’ve stayed there forever…

We said goodbye to Interlaken the next morning and went to Lucerne, making a stop in Bern for lunch and a quick concert at the Munster.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageWe did a long concert at the Jesuit Church in Lucerne, but it was by far the most beautiful. Afterwards all the new alums got together and we cried, knowing that this was our last tour with this amazing choir. We sang, laughed, and hugged, vowing to make the most of our last day in Switzerland.

And that’s exactly what we did.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageApparently my going to the bathroom signaled “Selfie time with Ashley’s camera”.ImageImageImageThe flight the next day went off without a hitch, and we made it back to America safely.

I will truly miss singing with my old choir, even though I’m excited for the chance to have an experience just as fulfilling with a new one. This tour gave me some great memories and I know it won’t be my last time to Switzerland, or to Europe for that matter. And I definitely won’t stop singing.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to go eat the last of my chocolate, listen to some of our recordings, and have a moment.



One comment

  1. Pingback: Rest | Nigra Sum

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s